Dr. Eric Deakins PT, DPT
Owner and Director of Act Now Physical Therapy and Concussion Management
Dr. Eric has been treating patients in Chicago and Northwest Indiana for over sixteen years. He has successfully treated patients that tried years of physical therapy with other therapists unsuccessfully and brought them back to full function. He has worked with patients in low-income areas all the way to professional athletes. He has worked at small individually owned clinics, as well as the big-name box clinics, so he knows just how important personalized one-on-one care is.
Dr. Eric specializes in hands-on manual therapy treatment (manipulations and mobilizations), sports medicine, concussion, balance and vestibular (dizziness) therapy. He knows that these issues can be very disruptive in everyday life, and he can work with your doctor to create a management plan that will allow you to get back to the activities you love faster. He is passionate about keeping up with the best practices in physical therapy and has taken exhaustive continuing education courses to get rid of your pain with the use of techniques such as cupping, dry needling, ASTYM, and more. Dr. Eric is a firm believer that, in many cases, physical therapy can help avoid the time and pain of expensive surgeries or the use of drugs.
Dr. Eric lives in Whiting with his wife, Tracy, and their rescue dog Athena. Eric grew up in NW Indiana, and since moving to Whiting in 2018, he has really fallen in love with the community spirit and hard-working people of Whiting (and Pierogi Fest is an added bonus!) He enjoys a variety of hobbies including traveling, soccer, home renovations, and supporting all Chicago sports teams. During the summer, Tracy and Eric can be found relaxing at Whihala Beach, going to street festivals, enjoying live music, or hanging out with family. He's excited to provide expert care in a positive environment to help you get back to enjoying life pain-free.
- Doctorate of Physical Therapy from Indiana University School of Rehabilitation Medicine graduated summa cum laude.
- Certified concussion (Impact ITPT) expert through the University of Pittsburgh Sports Medicine and American Institute of Balance.
- Advanced vestibular certification through the American Balance Institute and Emory University.
- Certified manual therapist (MTC) through the University of Augustine.
- Certified dry needling therapist (CDNT) from the Institute of Advanced Musculoskeletal Institute.
- Certified in cupping, ASTYM soft tissue manipulation, active release technique and Blood Flow Restrictive exercise from B-strong.
- Certified Pose Method Running Specialist with DARTFISH video running analysis.